Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Wabash Trail, Iowa

I'm a mountain girl to the core.  I grew up in the foothills of Colorado and have remained here all my life.  I've seen a lot of different places, so I wouldn't say I don't know anything else.  But I feel most at home here.  My parents moved to Omaha, Nebraska 12 years ago and I've never gotten used to the open plains and farmlands.  Ironically, I feel claustrophobic when I don't have snowy peaks to orientate myself.  The humidity chokes my lungs and the heat is an entirely different matter.

I needed to get 16 miles in last Saturday.  Mom and Dad love riding their bikes on the Wabash Trail in Iowa, so I figured this was a good opportunity to spend some time together and finally see the trail I've heard so much about.

We started in Malvern, Iowa, ran 8 miles to Silver City, and returned to the start.  Because my mom and dad rode their bikes, it was really hard to keep riding at a relatively slow 8:40 pace.  After no time at all they made sure I had what I needed and rode off.


Picture this.  The trail is a 64-mile-long stretch of fairly flat lands, partly enclosed by large deciduous trees.  Giant walnuts and acorns the size of my fist covered the ground so deep in areas, that I had to tip toe around the mounds.  As I ran by a mile-long wetland outside of Malvern, the frogs erupted in an incredible chorus of croaks.  I actually thought a diesel train must be passing until I realized no train tracks existed, it was the frogs.  The canopy of trees overhead were just starting to bud and when I looked at the trail ahead of me, it was an endless tunnel of green and brown.


Throughout the run I passed broken down cars, models dating from the early 30s, a plane chassis, and old railroad cars stacked along a river bank to protect the lands from flooding.  Somehow, this old junk didn't detract from the landscape.  It looked as if it belonged and added to the eccentric appeal.  Every half mile, I crossed a small wooden bridge, each one slightly different, but very much like I'd pictured from old movies.  Miles passed and I didn't see a single soul.  No cars drove by, farm houses peeked wearily out of the holes in the forest every so often, and even though I could see them clearly, many were a mile or more away.


It was a peaceful run.  I didn't wear ear buds.  Instead, I listened to the squirrels fight over the plethora of nuts on the ground.  Cardinals mocked my hunger the entire trek, "Birdy, Birdy, Birdy!"  "Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger!"  "Birdy, Birdy, Cheeeeeeeseburrrrrrger!"

Even though the trail didn't run up and down steep mountainsides, it was beautiful.  Each small town along the trail have maintained their farm routes and I appreciated that.  I liked running where I could feel totally alone, unhampered by technology or schedules.


My parents met me at the finish and took me out for lunch where all the locals stopped and stared at me as I walked into the restaurant dripping sweat and completely out of breath from running in the heat.  The owner stopped by our table and said, "So you must be the runner!"  News travels quickly I guess.  "Wow!  We get a lot of bikers through here.  Not runners.  Good for you young lady."  Give it some time, this trail will definitely gain popularity. 


~Roadburner

No comments:

Post a Comment