Thursday, April 10, 2014

Enjoying the Run Again

I'm 21 weeks into training for the Colfax Marathon and the last two weeks or so have been draining.  I'm logging more miles than I ever have before and there are definitely mornings where my alarm goes off between 5:15-5:30 and instead of skittering out of bed, I fumble, loudly.  It has been an insanely long road.  Today, I got the boost I needed to pull me back on track.

My alarm buzzed at 5:15 am, but I awoke 2 minutes before, naturally.  I quietly got out of bed, politely not waking my husband.  I dressed quickly, ate a banana and a Gu, downed some orange juice, and headed out the door.  I purposely hid my Garmin from view.  I'm visiting my parents in Omaha this weekend.  The weather is supposed to be rainy all day Sunday, so instead of going long 3 days after my tempo, I only get 2 days for recovery.  I didn't want to push my luck and feel pressured to go out too fast.

I started out warming up nice and slow and after a mile, slowly accelerated to what felt like a sustainable, moderate pace.  Usually, I try and keep the same pace no matter how the terrain changes.  If it is a mile long 7% incline, I try to run up it at the same speed as I would a straight shot.  Today, I wanted to maintain only by effort.  I thought of it as keeping money in the bank.  "Keep your effort moderate.  Hills hurt.  Save some for later so you can finish strong." Dog walkers think I am crazy, but self talk works.


On the straightaways and downhills I opened up my stride and sped up, keeping the moderate effort.  On hills, I backed way off, listening to my breath and paying very close attention to my legs.  As I rounded the 12th mile and saw my house, I felt great.  I truly wasn't tired.  I could have kept running for another 10-15 miles or more.  The fresh feelings in my lungs and legs were exhilarating.  I haven't felt that good after a run in months!

While I cooled down I looked at my watch to finally check my splits.  My goal was to maintain right at a 9:00 pace.

Mile 1 - 10:06
Mile 2 - 9:18
Mile 3 - 9:03
Mile 4 - 8:38
Mile 5 - 8:56
Mile 6 - 8:20
Mile 7 - 8:31
Mile 8 - 9:10
Mile 9 - 8:35
Mile 10 - 8:48
Mile 11 - 9:08
Mile 12 - 9:10

I read all the time that negative splits are key.  I agree this is very true as you don't want to start too fast.  A warm-up energizes muscles and saves a lot of energy for later.  However, I didn't run true negative splits today and I felt great.  It was a hilly course that climbed over 1,400 feet; some of those hills were 2-3 miles long.  There is definitely something to be said for running based on effort and not the clock.


When I got home, I felt energized and ready to run again.  I miss that feeling.  It made me think, what have I been doing wrong?


  • I push too hard sometimes.  I want so badly to improve and grow, but I am not allowing my body to relax and let go. I need to start listening to how I feel, and run based on that. 
  • Somehow I was really focused today.  I was able to stare straight ahead and not worry about anything but how I felt at that very moment.  I wore a lower brimmed hat without sunglasses and I think that tunnel vision kept me only looking a few steps ahead.  Also, the reduced pressure of not looking at my watch kept my stride relaxed and simple.
  • Yesterday, I ate really clean.  For breakfast I ate papaya, yogurt, and Kashi cereal.  I had mixed grain bread and organic turkey for lunch with a huge kale salad.  For snack, I ate a homemade energy bar with walnuts, banana, cranberries, and whole wheat flour.  Dinner consisted of salmon, long grain rice pilaf, and another giant kale salad.  I didn't have any alcohol and instead enjoyed a huge glass of milk with my dinner.  What I eat the day before a run has more impact than anything else.
  • I've never eaten a banana and a Gu pre-run.  It is usually one or the other.  I will do that again! 
  • Sleep hasn't been enough of a priority lately.  Last night, I was alseep before 9:30, allowing me to wake naturally before 5:15. 

At first I thought I was insane to run the same marathon two years back-to-back.  There are thousands of courses out there, why do the same one again?  But how much I've grown in the last year is substantial.  I can't think of a better way to prove how far I've come than running it again, and steadily improving from one year to the next.  I am not the same person I was a year ago.  I am much more driven with set goals and tangible plans to achieve my dreams.  For the first race ever, I feel prepared to run.



No comments:

Post a Comment