Monday, April 28, 2014

16 Miles in Pictures

I ran 16 miles alone on Saturday.  Usually Monica and I like to run together for these longer miles, but our schedules were so busy that we just couldn't find a way to make it work.  I created a really neat loop that covered a lot of ground over 16.75 miles and thought it would be fun to show how much things can change mile-to-mile over that distance.  I love watching how the light changes in the morning.  It is the number one reason why I never mind getting up before the birds.

(Monica, I missed you the whole way, and I didn't want you to miss out on the beautiful views, so here you go:))

Mile 0.  5:15 am.

Mile 0.  Looking North East.  The light is not from the sunrise but from the community center.

Mile 1.5

Mile 1.5

Mile 2

Mile 3

Mile 3.75.  The tiny red dot in the top left corner is Monica.  She had a friend visiting from Ohio and they got a quick run in before her friend had to leave.  I saw them from a distance and waited for a while to see if it was them or not.  Monica, your red hat always gives you away!  ;)

Mile 5 

Mile 5.5.  I've never run on a golf course before.  It was beautiful running along the golf path for a mile.

Mile 6.  That's a mall and major highway in front of me.

Mile 6.25.  Headed under the highway.

Mile 6.5

Mile 7.5

Mile 8.5.  This park leaves out water and cups for park enthusiasts on the weekends.  While I didn't use any, I thought that was really cool.

Mile 10.  This is the cutest neighborhood.  I had no idea it existed. 

Mile 11

Mile 13.  At the top of a 2 mile climb.  I wanted to take a picture of the hill I just climbed, but I didn't because I passed a girl halfway up the hill and she was still back there when I turned around.  It felt rude to photograph her.

Mile 13.  Looking over the highway I crossed earlier.

Mile 14.5.  My calves cramped up suddenly at this point.  I took a Salt Stick and they were refreshed in less than 30 seconds.  That stuff works!  I highly suggest it.

Mile 16.5.  I saw my husband and kids pass by in the car.  They were headed to get me a special breakfast!

When I got home, my husband asked me if I had energy left in the tank for a hike and picnic.  Two hours later, we were at the top of Mt. Falcon, 3 miles total.  The sign above us means, "The well at the gate."  Inspiring, I know!

Looking out over Mt. Rosalie.
Before I started training for marathons, I had no idea how much ground I could cover in one run.  I have a hard time mapping out my runs now because I want something new and different.  It needs to have beautiful views and loop back to the beginning.  I don't like out and back routes, but creating something that covers so much ground is ironically difficult.  

When I got home on Saturday, my boys asked me where I ran.  I told them I ran behind Monica's house, to our library, down to the mall, past Daddy's work, and back up through our favorite playgrounds.  My youngest son said, "Mommy, that's not possible without a car!" 


~Roadburner

No comments:

Post a Comment