Thursday, April 24, 2014

Birthday Bliss

I turned 30 last week.  I honestly never thought about living this long.  Not that I did anything stupid or risky to make me doubt such an achievement, but it always seemed a long way away.  Ten years old.  Now that is tangible.  I remember thinking, "Holy cow!  I am old.  BOOM!  I made it to the double digits!"  Sixteen had a ton of fanfare and served me well.  Twenty-one was okay, and again I knew I'd get there.  But each year since has slipped by unnoticed, existing only as an afterthought.


So where am I now?  I have a husband, two sons, my parents, amazing friends, a beautiful home, and I am happy.  I can honestly say I am happy.  I know where I come from.  I know where I am headed.  Things don't seem uncertain like they did in my 20s.  At 21, I had no idea how many kids I would have, where I would work, or live, or how I would stay healthy and sane as I aged.

I have more focus the older I get.  It's making me a better runner.  Ten years ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of running 60+ miles a week, taking infinite ice baths, rolling my legs out twice daily, and getting up hours before most the city rises.  This morning I ran a half marathon for the second time this week and while my body asked politely to stop a few times, I told her to, "Shut up and annihilate this thing," and she obliged.  That little insecure voice in my head doesn't speak loudly anymore.  During this round of training, I have pushed myself harder than ever before and each time I push, I get a little stronger.

In the last 7 days, I've run 64 miles.  Tuesday left my legs battered with lactic acid as I pushed that threshold as hard as I could.  For the first time ever, I ran a 7:11 mile after running 6 miles each under an 8:45 pace.  My calves didn't burn too badly while I ran at speed.  They waited to erupt into acidic flare while I cooled down on a giant hill near my home.  A man walking his dog stopped to watch me stretch out momentarily.  He snickered as I clutched my legs.  "Good run?" he asked. 

"Best yet!" I answered.




No comments:

Post a Comment