Sunday, November 11, 2012

Backcountry Wilderness Half Marathon

Heading into the Backcountry Wilderness Half Marathon I had two goals: watch my heart rate monitor, and don't get hurt.  I wanted to recover easily for the Rock 'n' Roll Vegas Half in less than 3 weeks.  Adding to the stress, my heart rate has climbed to extremely high rates over the last couple months, leaving me a strict doctor's order to keep it under 185 beats per minute.  My doctor scared me enough that day to take her warnings seriously.  "You may feel good, but your heart is not.  You are on your way to a heart attack!"  I wanted a good work out.  I wanted to experience the racing environment that I crave, but I didn't want permanent damage. Therefore it wasn't going to be a race that I would go all out and take a stand to prove my running abilities.  My 24-hour echo cardiogram, and stress test are scheduled for next week.  Until then, it was about enjoying the ride.

Freezing before the race!
Randall and I ran the Backcountry Half together.  He said he wanted me to pace him so that he didn't go all out and regret it later when he was too sore to move.  But I know why he stayed, he didn't trust I would watch my heart rate monitor closely enough.  I knew he was babysitting me when he tried to take off a few times in the first couple miles and when I didn't follow, he slowed, looked around for me, and ended up letting me take the lead.  Once we hit Monarch Blvd, we settled into our pace and I was glad Randall was there.  He provided great company and camaraderie, making me laugh when it hurt.


I applaud the Highlands Ranch Race Director for making a route that was somehow uphill for the majority of the first 11 miles.  That couldn't have been easy!  Our map clearly defined the inclines, but until you run a course from start to finish, it is impossible to appreciate the ascents.  The course was extremely well planned.  The first 2-3 miles were contested on larger paths and dirt roads, allowing racers to pass easily and move into their projected pace groups.  By the time the trails narrowed to single track, passing was less of an issue and racers were polite, moving aside to let faster runners charge through.


After we reached the top of Monarch Blvd, the wind pelted our faces and a hard packed sleet assaulted our cheeks and ears.  I was not the only runner to moan at the pain of those sadistic, little ice balls.  I picked up the pace throughout those rolling hills, just to escape the torment of the cold; but my pulse fenced me in and I ended up slowing down again before crossing Daniel's Park Rd.  Once we reached the other side of Daniel's Park, the wind stopped.  Running through the scrub oak was majestic as the snow flakes politely fell on our faces.  A fellow runner took the lead, pacing us through the next 2 miles, and as he pushed to the front he laughed, "I am so glad I am not on the couch right now!"


I felt the best between miles 7 and 11.  I was in my element and my heart rate settled right at 177 beats per minute.  I no longer glanced at my watch every 30 seconds to monitor my heart.  I took in the views, listened to my breath, joked with Randall here and there, and enjoyed the up and down of the rocky trails.  The Douglas County Search and Rescue crews made up the majority of the volunteers on the course and they kept spirits high with their great smiles and hilarious comments.

We charged through the final 3 miles at an 8:00 to 8:30 pace.  I felt like a gazelle galloping down the slopes, jumping rock-to-rock, until we made the hard pavement for the final mile.  My body was so adjusted to the textures of the trail, that the hard cement really threw me for a loop.  We continued our sub 9 minute pace to the finish, but I was clearly tired.  Once I saw the Colorado Race Timing finish line, I smiled.  That smile stayed plastered to my face for the last quarter mile.  As we charged up the final ascent to the finish, spectators cheered, chanted, and made me laugh through the finish.  Their spirits gave me the last push I needed to finish strong.  One spectator saw I was smiling and screamed, "She's smiling!  She still has it in her!  Go smile to the END!"


That finish was an accomplishment.  I felt really good throughout the race and I did as I promised my doctor.  I didn't take any unreasonable risks, but I felt I finished strong.  We crossed in 2:07, only 7 minutes slower than the Denver Rock 'n' Roll Half and the Boulder Half a few weeks prior.  The trails were tough and the climbs relentless.  I needed to buy new Pure Connects a month ago, as the cushioning is gone, but I didn't because I had too many races to risk breaking in new shoes.  By the end of this race, my feet were blistered and my shoes were trashed. 


The finisher's party was really small, but I understand how hard it must be for a race director to get companies and volunteers for a race that is this small, cheap, and cold.  There was ample water at the finish and enough C.B. and Potts pizza rolls for everyone to have a couple.  I wish they would have placed the finishers dog tags around our necks as we finished, but they were clearly busy with other tasks and quickly remedied the mistake.  Once we received our dog tags, we headed to the warmth of the car.  I was shivering uncontrollably and needed warmth fast.


Before heading home to the kids, we stopped for lunch.  As we ordered, I was still shivering so severely, the waitress thought I was truly crazy.  "I didn't think it was that cold outside!" she snickered.  I told her we just finished a race and I was frozen from the finish.  Her eyes widened looking at me like I was crazy.  Some people just don't get it!

Finally, we headed home and I put our youngest son, Owen, down for a nap.  Next, it was time for us to rest.  We never rent movies, but after the race, we made an exception.  Randall, Ethan, and I all curled up on the bed in our basement, to watch Ethan's movie he's wanted for weeks.  Randall and I quickly fell asleep.  After a short nap, Randall whispered in my ear, "My body hates me.  My knees hate me.  My ankles are begging, 'why?' I think my blood is pooling! But it was worth it.  Thanks for running with me, Jen."

No comments:

Post a Comment