Wednesday, December 19, 2012

12 Most Memorable Moments of 2012

1. Finishing the Denver Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon with my husband.


I've known Randall since I was 15 years old.  We literally grew up together as we finished high school, attended college, and began our careers.  However, the last 5 years have been consumed by our two boys.  Our every focus is our kids, and rightfully so.  They are the loves of our life and they deserve every piece of their parents.  But running is something that Randall and I enjoy independently.  We hold each other accountable to our goals and push each other to the next step.  Randall is my biggest fan and I am his.  Running and training for a half marathon as a couple brought us together again and reminded us it is okay to have a life outside of our boys.  When they are long grown, Randall and I will still have common interests that continue to bind us.

 

Throughout 2012, we ran numerous 5 and 10K races together, but we always finished separately, wanting to post a new PR.  The Denver Rock 'n' Roll was different.  Crossing the finish line together felt bigger than posting a good time.  We set and accomplished a goal together and encouraged each other when it was tough.  I am sure more opportunities like this will present themselves over the years, but that first achievement will always be the sweetest.




2. Running with Cows


My husband took me to a new set of trails on top of Wildcat Mountain.  It was supposed to be a quick 6 mile loop away from the kids.  However, about halfway through we found ourselves utterly surrounded by hundreds of cows.  They were so close, we couldn't pass them without feeling their breath on our necks.  At the time, I didn't find this funny, nor did I want to ever do it again.  Looking back, it is the funniest running moment of 2012.  I was so terrified of being face to face with these huge creatures and I truly felt trapped.  At one point my husband said, "They won't hurt you, Jen!  They are just really big, dumb animals."  At that moment, one of the cows that was relaxing on the trail stood up and challenged Randall for space.  I have never seen my husband scatter so quickly.  For someone who had nothing to fear, he looked pretty terrified!
    
3. Ethan's First Race


My oldest son, Ethan, loves to run.  We race up and down our street multiple times a day, and while he is a sore looser, he has a passion for running that I have yet to see in another four-year-old.  Ethan asked all summer when he would get to run a real race, so Randall signed him up for a kids' 1 miler. 


When he crossed the finish line, he was sure he beat all the other kids.  Somehow he ignored the fact that over 100 other children passed him mid stride, but he beat a few and that was what mattered.  This one simple race  kept him dreaming about running for months.  He still talks about "his race," and gives me advice on how to pace myself properly based on his personal running experiences.


I don't care if Ethan becomes a runner when he grows up.  I want my boys to pursue their own passions in life.  However, I do hope that we we have instilled a life-long love of exercise in our boys.  That race was one of my more proud moments of 2012 and I didn't even run.

4. Running the HRCA Backcountry Half Marathon


I was really worried about the Backcountry Half.  It was my third half marathon, the fourth major race in 7 weeks, and I still had Vegas just 3 weeks later.  That being said, crossing the finish line felt like a real achievement.  Randall and I ran together, which I always enjoy; the accomplishment feels much greater when you have someone to share it with.

However, the most memorable part came after the finish.  It was 20 degrees, not adjusting for the 20 mph winds, which bit straight through my sweaty thermals.  After about 20 minutes in the exposed elements, I began to shiver uncontrollably.  After 30 minutes, I couldn't think of anything but warm, sunny beaches, hot fires, and a pot of hot cocoa large enough to sit.
  
We shivered our way back to the car and turned the heated seats on high.  I draped 3 jackets over my legs and upper body, but still couldn't stop shivering.  Next, we stopped at the Corner Bakery and I ordered every hot food on the menu I could find.  Still violently shivering, I stuttered my way through the 5 piece order and the sales clerk looked at me like I was either very sick or crazy.  When she asked if I was okay I said, "Yeah, I am f...f...f...fine.  I just ran a r...r...real...really...co...co...cold half m...m...marathon, and now I am t...t...too...cold." Her eyebrows raised suspiciously, "Was it worth it?"

"Al...Al..Always!"
 
5. Meeting Scott Jurek in Las Vegas!



I read Eat and Run earlier this year and while I don't hold Scott Jurek up to a saintly status, I respect his running career and his dedication to the sport beyond compare.  I never expected to meet him in Vegas.  When I saw him, I made an absolute fool out of myself as I couldn't stop smiling.  What do you say to an idol without any time to prepare?  "Um, HI!" or "I like your chili recipe..."  He was so much more humble and down to Earth than I ever expected.  Being an approachable person only magnified my respect for him.  Once again, it wasn't the act of running that made a positive imprint on me, it was the people I met along the way.

6. My first trail date with my husband.
  

Randall and I used to escape our boys by seeing a movie or grabbing a bite to eat, but this last summer we began trail running together.  It provided it a great opportunity to share an experience outside of our kids.  That first run connected us like teenagers again.  We weren't worried about the boys or Randall's work, we just talked about our surroundings and enjoyed the flow of endorphins as we galloped over the rolling hills.  I look forward to these runs more than I've ever awaited a movie date. 

7. Winning Barking Dog Duathlon

I never thought I could actually win a race, much less be a contender in multi-sport.  When I won the Fat Tire Division of Racing Underground's Barking Dog Duathlon, by over ten minutes, I was elated. It taught me that you don't have to run the fastest race to win.  Instead, you need to plan your race ahead of time by comparing the results from previous years to realistic personal pace goals.  Some people are really fast on the bike but slower at running, so if you take advantage of that fact and really pound the pavement when it counts, you can make up for a lot of lost time on the runs.  In my case, I am a consistent runner and can put down some fast final miles.  
 
8. Receiving a Garmin Forerunner 405 for my birthday.


Since the beginning of May, I've run a total of 798.38 miles, with a total elevation gain of 26,199 vertical feet.  I have burned 53,035 calories or 15.15 pounds, in 97:29:42.  

9. Watching my friend, Monica, give up a PR to finish side-by-side in Vegas.


Before we boarded the plane to Vegas, Monica and I agreed we were going to run together and didn't care about personal records.  We were in it for the experience.  However, 6 miles into the race, we were going so fast that had Monica left me, I have no doubt she could have set a new personal best.  I told her it was okay if she wanted to leave multiple times as I was hurting.  I couldn't keep going at that pace.  Vegas was the final race of my 5 race series including 4 half marathons and 1 duathlon in 10 weeks.  My body was spent and I didn't have it in me anymore.  Monica, on the other hand, was ready for this race and hadn't planned so poorly leading up to the event.  I have no doubt in my mind she could have set a great time and even though I asked her to leave at least ten different times, she stayed by me to the finish.

Knowing how competitive Monica is, I was floored she didn't take that personal record.  I no doubt would have wanted it.  And yet she didn't seem disappointed or annoyed with my burning knees and ankles those last few miles.  She remained supportive and helped distract me to the finish.

Monica helped me cross the finish line.  Without her, my time would have been at least 5 minutes slower if not 10 minutes from our 2:02 finish.  Had she ran ahead of me, I would have walked.  I wanted to so badly, but knowing she stuck by me, I couldn't do that to her.  At Vegas, I learned how much of racing is about the experience itself and the people along the way.  Fifteen years from now, I won't remember my finishing time to any of these races, but I will remember running the strip at night with Monica, and having a great ladies weekend away.

10.  My neighborhood kids helping me practice transitions for the West Side Duathlon


I wasn't exactly prepared to race my final duathlon of the year.  I already ran 1 half marathon and had three left, in less than 9 weeks.  My training schedule was focused on running.  That being said, I hadn't practiced bricks (transitioning from running to biking and back again), in months.  I was sure my transition times would be dismal without at least some practice.  Two nights before the race, my kids were playing outside in the front yard with the neighborhood kids and I decided they were distracted enough for me to get some practice.

My husband sat on the curb with a watch, I set up my bike, helmet, clipless shoes and running shoes.  Each round, I would run or bike around the block, return to the driveway, and change modes. Randall started the timer the second my shoes hit the driveway and we measured my progress slowly.

Within 3 transitions, I had an audience of kids cheering.  Within 4, multiple kids joined in on the fun.  After 6 transitions, 12 neighborhood kids, 3 of whom NEVER exercise, ran up and down the sidewalks with me, racing to see who was the fastest.  Four year olds through 13 year olds grabbed their bikes, scooters, helmets and running shoes, and ran with me for over 30 minutes.  At the end, we all collapsed in the grass, laughing and energized from our workout.

11. Running behind a breast cancer survivor at the Boulder Marathon.  

Four miles into the Boulder Half Marathon, I was annoyed from the slow start and felt defeated knowing my chances for a personal record were all but lost.  I tried to cover that time by going out far too fast and throwing down 6-7 minute miles, much faster than I ever train.  When my knees throbbed, I found myself following a middle-aged woman with a freshly bald head.  She was sporting a pink cap and her shirt read, "I am a survivor, never a victim!"  I can't fathom the myriad of pain and perseverance cancer survivors must endure.  The amount of strength and courage they must hold deep within their hearts inspires me.  If she could train for a half marathon, putting in hundreds of miles during chemo therapy, I could finish this race no matter how annoyed or fatigued my muscles felt.


12. Getting utterly lost on a trail run and realizing it's okay because I have the stamina to make it home, no matter if the run is 5 miles or 15. 


I went on a trail run last weekend and took a few wrong turns.  It wasn't surprising that I got to this point as I found some trails that I'd never run before and I felt exhilarated by the new terrain.  But once I looked around, I realized I was much further south than I anticipated.  I ran without my Garmin because I wanted to feel free of any speed or distance constraints.  Because I didn't have the GPS telling me how far I came, I had no idea of how far it was to my car.  I guessed I was about 6 miles in and I hoped another trail would loop back to the main trail within a mile or two.  Ironically, this knowledge didn't leave my heart racing like it would have last year.  Back then, I might have turned around and headed back the way I came, but I am much more fit now and prepared with snacks, water, and Gu.  I could handle a detour, so I maintained and made it home over 45 minutes longer than planned.  My run was peaceful, quiet, and I felt energized when I reached my car.

I used to plan my routes so carefully.  I knew each turn specifically and each distance between major landmarks.  However, I don't plan so closely now because I am not scared of getting lost and adding a few extra miles to a run.  The terror of not knowing whether I had enough food or water with me, or if my knees could take the shock of the extra mileage, kept me close to home.  This time, I found it soothing to get lost and feel no fear about the return trek.  I didn't care if the run was going to be a quick 6 miler, or a long and drawn out half marathon; I knew my body could take it, so I trotted along, enjoying the views and the new found confidence in my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment