Saturday, April 5, 2014

Running date

For the second time in 6 years, my husband and I finally had the house all to ourselves.  What did we do?  Like any other exhausted parents, we went to bed before 9:30!  Instead of sleeping in, we jumped out of bed at 6:30 and quickly headed out for a run.

I prefer running dates over going to the movies.  Movies suck.  First of all, I finally get rid of my kids just to feel another lady's brat kick my chair repeatedly for 90 minutes or scream out inappropriately.  Why is that 5 year old in an adult movie anyway?  Furthermore, I've never understood why people bring their newborn babies to shows.  "Yes, thank you ma'am, I wanted to hear your baby cry for the entire movie because I desperately missed the cry of my two boys, whom I appropriately left at home." 

Running allows Randall and I to have quality time together.  We talk, grunt, laugh, compete, defend the lead...  It's fun.  He used to be remarkably faster than me.  Of course he enjoyed the lead, he is a man.  What hunter man doesn't enjoy being able to demonstrate his ability to chase down prey, or a car, to his slower nut gathering wife?  But in the last year, I've taken the lead as Randall has suffered with injury.  He could probably still beat me in the mile, hands down.  But I have endurance, and in my world, that means everything.  I just need to tire him out.

"How far we going?"

"Only 7-8 miles.  The schedule says 8, so..."  I looked at the path ahead and smirked.

"There is no way we are going 8 miles, Jen.  We are already 5 miles from home and I know we are running on your 11 mile course.  I helped you map the damn thing a few nights ago.  Oh, and didn't you say we were going to take it slow?  This isn't slow.  This is one minute per mile faster than you promised."

I love spending time with him.



~Roadburner

No comments:

Post a Comment