Friday, April 11, 2014

Running in Secret

I get up early in the morning and running gets to be my little secret. No one is awake yet as I trot along completely darkened neighborhoods. Dew still bubbles from the blades of grass leaving freshness in the air that won't last after sunrise.  Only the birds know I am there and it is my little piece of heaven.  After a difficult effort, I celebrate silently.  I didn't push myself for a medal or prize.  I wanted to see if it could be done.  I glance at my Garmin and smile at a new success.  It is mine. 

Throughout my day, no one knows my calves pinch slightly as I step.  Moms at the park don't realize I burned an entire day's worth of calories before most of the city awoke.  When I take the steps one at a time as I follow my boys up the stairs of a slide, people glance, thinking I'm lazy.  Nope, just sore. 

Each snack and meal throughout my day gets to be a well planned treat, healing my muscles from today's efforts and preparing it for tomorrow.  I indulge the flavors of my food privately as others don't understand how good it tastes at that very moment. 

Yesterday, I didn't know I could go this far or fast.  I didn't know I could feel so energized after working so hard.  Tomorrow, I'll push a little more.  And again, those simple triumphs will remain my secret.


 ~Roadburner

No comments:

Post a Comment