Friday, November 2, 2012

Brooks Pure Connect

My Brooks Pure Connects have run 300 miles.  By 200 miles, the cushioning was dead, but I am cheap and I refuse to buy another pair after only a couple of months.  I loved the Pure Connects immediately.  They felt snug and comfortable from the start.  For a neutral, low drop shoe (4mm) they have enough cushioning to ease my foot's impact to the ground, but it isn't too cloud-like and I can still feel the pavement.  It is a really nice balance.  However, I am not sure I can buy another pair if I have to spend $100 every 2-3 months.



Running is supposed to be relatively cheap.  You don't need fancy gear, gym memberships, or a club card.  So why do I spend so much on clothes, watches, shoes, hats, registration fees, etc...?  In Born to Run, McDougall talks about buying the cheapest pair of running shoes you can find.  Don't go for the crazy expensive ones because those are going to have all the additional support and gizmos that mess up your gait.  However, since Born to Run became a bestseller, shoe companies have made an entirely different business model exploiting people like me.  I want a neutral low-drop shoe, one that allows me to run a natural gait.  In order to find that, I pay hundreds of dollars every few months.  Clearly I didn't buy into the barefoot running message entirely.  I like the idea of natural running, but I am fearful of the consequences of buying cheap, soleless flats. 

People run in huaraches, or barefoot all the time.  I even saw a video on Runners' World online where a guy was trying to prove you can run in any shoe and chose to run in flat-footed sneakers.  Why do I need the latest and greatest if the technology isn't really changing?


Shoes are becoming lighter, simpler, and are supposed to mimic socks.  So why don't I just wear socks?  Because shoes are an image.  If they look cool and fast, I feel I look less dorky and perhaps a few seconds faster.  I am not a quick runner, nor do I win anything besides duathlons, but I am dedicated to my hard work and training.  I like wearing a shoe that makes me feel like a warrior.  I love bright colors, sleek edges, and reflective badges.


The Brooks Pure Connect does that for me.  They come in multiple colors and are truly comfortable.  I love the low drop design, but they aren't as intimidating as wearing minimalist zero-drop racing flats.  I wish the cushioning lasted a bit longer, the average shoe can take at least 300 miles, but I have yet to find a shoe that fits my foot so well and races on dirt or pavement. 

1 comment: