Thursday, April 3, 2014

Colfax Marathon Round 2 Game Plan

With six and a half weeks left until the Colfax Marathon, it's time to start creating a game plan.  How do I improve on last year's performance?  (Here is last year's race report.)

First of all, I am stronger this time around.  I've doubled my training, both in miles and intensity.  Before this round of training, I never ran tempo, strength, or speed runs.  I just ran to cover the distance.  Last year it was about the time on my feet, while this season is all about posting quality miles.  April 2013 drained me.  We moved, my whole family got pneumonia, and somehow I ended up with pleurisy.  My lungs burned walking from the kitchen to the couch but stubbornly I refused to drop out of the race.


Considering my goals to simply finish last year, I started too fast.  I wasn't ready to hold a 9:00 pace.  I hadn't trained for that and my lungs were still too weak.  I let the excitement of the day get the best of me.  Miles 5-15 are all uphill and instead of pacing myself, my splits were all over the place.  I wanted to run how I felt and I think this was detrimental.  I felt good in the beginning so I ran faster.  By the end, I had no energy left and I crashed.

At mile 15, I stopped to collect myself.  I was ready to drop out of the race altogether.  I realized that running marathons wasn't very fun.  It is work.  And focus.  Standing completely still in the middle of the race course while everyone else ran by me was surreal.  I let what seemed like a hundred people pass as I just stood motionless before deciding I needed to finish.    


At mile 17, I saw my husband on the side of the street.  He ran up next to me and joined me for about a quarter mile.  My sudden change in pace from an 11:00 mile to a 9:46 shows how much I needed to see him.  Randall told me he would see me at the finish line and I promised I'd make it.  It sounds really stupid but in my oxygen depleted state, I didn't want to let him down.  I said I would be there, I didn't want him to worry so I had no choice anymore but to finish.

Miles 23-34 suck.  Whoever designed this course is a sadist.  The hill is huge and completely out of no where.  I've worried about this damn hill ever since and quite honestly, I have no idea how I am going to get up that thing again.  I've spent a lot of time training on hills and finishing long runs on hills, so I hope that counts for something.  If not, wave to me from the sidelines, I'll be the one walking, cursing, and grunting.


So what have I learned in the last year?  Starting slow is key.  While I want to average right at 9:00 miles, I need to start the first few slower than that by a good 20 seconds per mile.  I need to reserve energy to pull me up that dreaded mountain at the end.  Second, I didn't take enough Gu last year.  I need to make a concerted effort to down carbs every 5 miles.  That may be a lot for some people, but when I practice this during training runs, I consistently perform better.

Next, I need my husband to be at the 20th mile.  The boost of energy he gave me at mile 17 was heaven sent.  I will never be able to describe what seeing him did for me.  I was covered in salt, sweat, and tears.  I was starving, my lungs were on fire, and emotionally I was falling apart.  The second I saw him standing there, I pulled myself together.  I wanted to look strong for him and I needed him to be proud of me.  Appearing solid for him made me feel more energetic for the next few miles.  This time I want to see him again closer to the finish.  I hope that surge carries me beyond mile 20.

Randall and me just before the race.
If I feel good between miles 17-23, that would be a good time to speed up by 10-20 seconds per mile to bank a little time for the hill.  I don't plan on it looking pretty as I trot up that thing, so if I can slow back down to a 10:00 pace without loosing overall time, I will curse less. 

I still have no idea how I want to carry my hydration.  Last year I carried a backpack but I've only worn it once in the last year and it was really heavy and hot.  I don't do well with hydration belts because they make me cramp.  I usually just carry a water bottle, but not for 20+ miles.

3:58.  That's my primary goal for this race.  I'm trying to cut off over 26 minutes from last year's time.  I need to run an overall 9:00 pace, while allowing for a slow warm up and an ugly finishing hill climb.  During my longer training runs, I consistently push that pace to 8:40 miles, but I don't want to get overconfident.  Last year I learned to respect the distance. 


How have you changed your strategy on the same course from one year to the next?
What do you use to carry your hydration?
Who or what do you need at your tougher races to pull you through?
How often do you take carbs during the race?

~Roadburner


No comments:

Post a Comment