Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Tofu Stir Fry

I used to be terrified of tofu.  But watching my 4 and 1 year old sons suck it down like blocks of noodles made me think, "If they can eat it, I'll give it a try."  As I ventured into the world of vegetarianism, I had no where to hide.  If you want a good protein source, that is easily digestible, tofu is a perfect option.


Cooked tofu doesn't have the same slimy texture as the raw stuff, so if you are a bit squeamish about it, try this recipe as it is a huge crowd pleaser whenever I offer it to friends and family.

Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry

1 Pound Extra Firm Tofu (sliced in 1/2 inch strips)
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Bell Peppers (sliced thin)
1 Bunch Broccoli (trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces)
1/2 Cup Peeled Edamame Beans (frozen are fine)
1/2 Cup Baby Carrots (sliced thin)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1/4-1/2 Cup Teriyaki Sauce

Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a wok (or large pan) at medium high heat.  Add the strips of tofu and let brown for about 5 minutes.  Season the tofu with salt and pepper while it cooks.  Flip the tofu once it is golden brown and season again.  Remove the tofu to a bowl.

Add the veggies to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender.  Season lightly.


Return the tofu to the wok with the vegetables.  Add enough teriyaki sauce to cover all the veggies and tofu.  (I prefer the brand Soy Vay.  I find it at Kroger stores and it has more authentic flavor than the other store brought brands.)  Continue to cook until the sauce is nice and thick.


Serve over hot brown rice.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment