Friday, May 2, 2014

What's after the Colfax Marathon?

I need to finish the Colfax Marathon strong and prove hard work pays off.  I am taking over 20 minutes off my previous marathon time on the same course.  It is a hard route with some rough hills and even though it is 1,000 feet lower in elevation than my home, it is still a mile above sea level.  But what's the next step?

Assuming I don't blacklist marathons forever after this race, I want to start getting my time down to a Boston Qualifier.  I need 3:35.  I'd like a minute or two faster to ensure my qualifying time is fast enough with all the runners out there under age 34.

After Colfax I will take 2 full weeks of not running.  This is going to be hard.  I am not sure how to go from getting up at 5:00 am every day and running 50-65 miles a week to nothing.  I'll let you know if I hold it together.  During that time, I will find a trainer to help me with running specific weight training.  I haven't done much with weights over the last few years and I know that is key to helping my speed, agility, and injury prevention.  If I am going to take my marathon pace from 9:00 to 8:07, I need to work smarter and include weights at least 1-2 days a week.

I also saw major gains in my VO2 levels when I ran speed work once a week.  It had positive effects across the board, leaving my easy runs refreshing, and my tempo runs more sustainable at the desired paces.

It will be important to temper my training as I gain mileage again.  I don't want to start out too high and risk injury, but I also don't want to loose the gains I've made in the last 5 months.  I will listen to my body and back off when it doesn't feel right.  Running high mileage works for me though.  The more I run, the better and faster I get.  I am learning how to use my body efficiently and I often experiment with new techniques and form on my easy days.

The California International Marathon is December 7.  I haven't decided if I am going to run it this year or not, but I hear it is a fast course and the benefits of sea level could work to my advantage.  REVEL Rockies is another option, but seeing how it is a downhill course, I am not sure if I want to trash my quads over 5,000 feet of elevation loss.  Also, it takes place in August, which might be too soon.  Another option could be the Denver Rock 'n Roll Marathon in October.  Again, it feels a little soon to run another full, so I need to wait and see how my body feels over the next month and a half.

Here is my training plan for a 3:35:00 marathon finish.  Each speed work, strength, and tempo run also includes a one mile warm up and cool down. 
I've said all along I wanted a BQ, and I know I have a lot of work to do.  I have to bite this off in small pieces and move there strategically, learning along the way what works for my body.  However, my current tempo, speed, recovery, easy, and distance paces all say I am ready for the next challenge. 


~Roadburner

No comments:

Post a Comment