Thursday, May 1, 2014

Germaphobia

The wind in Colorado has been insufferable lately.  My two young boys have been stuck inside and are driving each other (okay, mainly me) insane.  To get them out of the house, we decided a trip to the library and then a nearby park would be fitting.  But when we arrived at the park we found the 30 mph gusts weren't letting up, and there was no way we were going to enjoy the 46 degree temps.

My youngest son was desperate to play and didn't mind being carried away like Toto.  So I struck a deal and decided to head over to the brand-new Chick Fil A that is equipped with a children's area.  Wow, dumb decision. When we got there, the place was packed.  I wrongly assumed 10:00 am would be an ideal time to play as it isn't breakfast or lunch and the place was brand new so it must be spotless.  Nope.  It was not spotless.  There was food and dirt EVERYWHERE.  The handles to the doors were smeared with grease and boogers.  Seriously, there were boogers smeared on the windows.

My two carefree boys skipped off, ripping their shoes and jackets away before I could bolt.  Crap.  We were here to stay.  So I hunkered down in a corner where I could watch them and proceeded to listen to a 4-year-old boy hack his lungs out with such bronchial strength, I was sure we were all infected.  I hate germs.  I am not a total germaphobe all the time, but I really despise taking care of sick kids because they are so miserable and I feel their suffering.  Not to mention, my race is 2 weeks away and hell or high water, I am toeing that line.  Call me selfish, but you don't give up on hard work, missed nights out, lost sleep, blisters, frozen nose hairs and contacts from subzero training runs, and all those miles, just because some selfish mom wants to get her infected kids out of the house.

I let my kids play for about 20 minutes.  I sanitized each of them every few minutes and left.  When we got home, they immediately ripped off their clothes and got into a warm shower.  Did I take it too far?  Yes.  When my kids are completely terrified of germs in the future I will know exactly how those fears germinated.  But hopefully they will also think of their mom's goals and how she never let anyone stand in her way, not even a 38 inch, mucous-ridden stranger.


~Roadburner

No comments:

Post a Comment