Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year, New Distances

My goals for 2013 are simple.  I want to run a marathon and feel good afterwards.  Last year, I ran 10 races.  I don't want to run so many races this year.  I want to pick my races for particular reasons and work really hard to accomplish specific speed or distance goals.  It isn't about quantity this year, it is about quality.

 For months, I've tossed around the idea of registering for a full marathon.  I haven't run one before and I wanted to make sure I had enough time to put in the proper training before I dedicated fully.  I signed up last night.  It is official, I will run the Colfax Marathon on May 19! 


I told my husband I was a bit nervous about all the early morning runs.  Running on snow and ice at 6:00 am, in below zero temperatures, isn't exactly motivating.  Ethan, my 4 year old son, overheard the conversation and said, "Don't worry, Mom!  I'll teach you to run on all surfaces.  I can teach you to run on rocks, grass, sand, snow, ice, whatever!  When I am done teaching you, it will be no problem!"


Ethan's simple understanding is exactly what I needed.  It is important to take it one day, one surface at a time, and not become overwhelmed.  I asked Ethan if he could teach me to run on all those surfaces for 26.2 miles and he said, "Absolutely!  You just do the same thing over and over again." 

Coaches and trainers most commonly post that you need to know your motivation for running endurance races.  If you don't know what your reasons are now, you will question your sanity halfway through the race.  So here is my reasoning: I love my boys.  I want to teach them no goal is ever too big.  I want them to think of me as a superhero.  Randall, my husband, told Ethan one time that his mom was Wonder Woman.  Ethan denied the claim, "No she isn't!  She can't fly!"  When he is grown, I want him to look back and think of his mother as a strong independent woman, one who accomplished her dreams.  I want to challenge my body because every time I do, I become more in tune with my essence.  I am not a remarkably fast runner, so I want to challenge myself and my training in longer distances.


No comments:

Post a Comment