Friday, December 28, 2012

Merrell Barefoot Run Pace Glove

Over the last year, I've made the transition to "barefoot running."  Before the change, my starting shoe was an Asics, with a 16mm heal-to-toe differential.  It is a long way to go from a large 16mm heal to nothing, thus my first step was a Kinvara 2, sporting a 7mm drop.  I liked the roominess of that shoe but I won't lie, the transition was more painful that I ever expected.  After one week of 2-3 mile runs, never allowing myself to run faster than 9 minute miles, I developed a painful case of plantar fasciitis.  However, I persevered and within 4 months was ready for the next step down. 

 

After much research, I found the Brooks Pure Connect.  I liked the 4mm drop as it felt more like I was hitting the pavement and not a squishy mold under my feet.  But again, the transition was not clean and I developed another round of plantar fasciitis.  Sales clerks warned me that I needed to take the transition slowly, but I don't know how to make that transition any slower than four - three mile runs a week for two weeks alternating shoes.  Anything slower, and my muscle memory would be too confused to make progress.  To some degree, you have to grin and bear it while your body builds additional muscles to support a natural running style.  I took rest days when I needed them and the healing was much quicker the second time.


I love the feeling of a proper midfoot strike.  It keeps my back straighter and my gait less cumbersome.  But I always finish a run with back, knee, ankle, and hip pain.  I attribute this 100% to my shoes.  I have good form and I can feel how much my shoes affect my body because the lower the heal to toe ratio, the less pain I feel post run.  I noticed this initially when I made the transition to the Saucony Kinvaras.  However, the question remained, would a zero drop shoe eliminate my knee, back, and ankle pain altogether?

For over two weeks now I have been running in only zero drop shoes.  (My walking shoes have been zero drop for 9 months.)  Yesterday, I went on a 6.57 mile run on very hilly terrain.  My calves felt the run.  They were burning from the new muscle growth needed to support no heel cusioning.  However, when I made it back home, I didn't have the slightest joint pain in my back, knees, shoulders, ankles, or hips.  If it weren't for my calves, I wouldn't have known I just ran for an hour.  I'd say that's progress. 


So far the only zero drop shoes that fit me properly are the Merrell Barefoot Pace Gloves.  I tried the Altras and they felt like clunky skater shoes.  I love the larger toe box in Altras, but they are extremely heavy and it doesn't feel like your foot is connecting to the ground.  I worried the Pace Gloves would hurt my feet and cause blisters on longer runs because they don't have any cusioning to support the strike, but so far, my feet are in better shape now than they have been in years.  I don't feel any hot spots or uncomfortable tightness.  The lack of cushioning yields more control and puts my toes to use in a very productive way.  I run lighter, faster, and harder with much less effort.  Furthermore, I have yet to experience any plantar fasciitis with this transition.  They are genuinely comfortable and the tread holds up beautifully on rocky terrain. 

I read a blog article recently giving shoe buying advice for runners.  The one thing I took from it was this, "Your shoe should disappear from your foot the second you lace it up.  You shouldn't feel tightness, lumps, or any general discomfort at any time.  Most of all, you should forget it is on your foot long after your run has concluded."  I laughed when I read this because that had never happened to me.  I usually can't wait to take off my shoes after a run. 

In truth, I bought the Pace Gloves as my winter errand shoes a few months ago.  I had no intention of running in them. However, I catch myself wearing my Merrells around the house for hours when I have a "no shoe" policy inside.  I take the kids to the library and return home accidentally leaving my shoes on through lunch and quiet time.  I thought about the advice in that blog, finding shoes that disappear on your feet, and realized I didn't need to buy a new pair.  I already had them in my closet.  A little treasure waiting join me on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment