Friday, October 12, 2012

Transition

On Owen's first birthday, I wanted to increase my training and commitment to the sport substantially.  I have always loved biking and thought it an appropriate compliment to running.  During the boys' naptime, I sat on the couch, pulled out my laptop and quickly registered for my first race I'd ever run, Barking Dog Duathlon, by Underground Racing.  

The only problem was that I had never raced prior to signing up for this and while I had seen my husband race a couple times, I never personally toed the line.  I didn't know what the rush of adrenaline would do to me mid-race.  Randall convinced me a couple of warmup races might be appropriate.  My first race was a simple St. Patty's Day 5k in Highlands Ranch, Colorado.  I didn't run it very fast, I posted a 30:30, but for me, the goal was simple completion.  I thought it would serve a great lesson in pacing.  Upon finishing, I was addicted.  Now that I actually raced, could I decrease my time or lengthen the distance, or both?


Throughout my life, I have been extremely competitive.  Whether through work, play, sport, or family, I always need to feel like I am growing.  Racing offered me that immediate release, something I completely gave up when I quit my teaching job January of 2008.   

Next, I signed up for a back country 10k, but at this point had never run more than 5 miles consecutively.  One week before the race, I ran 6 miles.  Hindsight now tells me what awful training that was and my body paid the price.  When I got home, I was absolutely exhausted.  I hadn't learned how to pace myself, and if I was going to experience the lead inducing pain of multi-sport, I needed to catch that line quickly.  The back country 10k was so unbelievably painful.  I finished at 60:02, which I realize now was not a bad time considering the ridiculous climbs and troublesome terrain, but when I crossed the finish line, I just wanted to rest.



The few months I spent doing bricks (run, bike, run, bike, etc...), increasing my mileage with each set and finding the beauty of negative splits along the way.  Bricks increased my overall speed dramatically.  I went from a 10:30 running pace to 9:00 and eventually an 8 minute 5k.  My lungs opened up much quicker and distance while running or biking was of little concern.  I had to be extremely disciplined over the next couple months sticking to a training plan so that I didn't go out too hard or too far and injure myself. 

At Barking Dog, I raced with my mountain bike.  The fat tire division allows newcomers a way into the sport and levels the playing field.  Three weeks before the race, I sat down with all of the previous years' results.  I knew I couldn't bike as fast as some of the competitors but across the board, people go out far too hard on the first run and save nothing for the final 3 miles.  Their posted times were showing remarkable first miles that made them completely bomb the final few.  I wanted to run a smart race, not necesssarily the fastest possible.  I calculated my desired times for each leg of the race and memorized exactly what I needed to do.  I practiced running and biking at that speed and on race day, I felt extremely prepared.




About 75% through the biking leg of the race, a man on a rocket bike passed me and said, "Wow!  You are ahead of the other fat tires by at least 7 minutes!"  That gave me the fuel I needed.  I finished the race, beating all 15 men on mountain bikes by over 10 minutes, the 10 females by over 13 minutes.



My uncle, a fellow athlete, came to town the next day and told my husband to get me a racing bike, he wanted to see what I could do if I had a real machine.  The Black Mamba has won two other duathlons with me this season, not in a beginners racing class, but at the competitive racing level.



No comments:

Post a Comment