Monday, March 25, 2013

Marathon Training Miles 12-17

Amidst training for the Colfax Marathon, my husband and I decided to sell our house and move a whopping 2.1 miles away.  When we started this process, I thought it was great timing.  "Running would provide a release from all the stress and keep me centered."  Sure.  When I made that comment I had only reached 12 miles in my training regimen and things were going extremely well.

Keeping a clean house, caring for 2 very rambunctious boys, and running over 30 miles per week has provided a new lifestyle that I would call anything but stress free.  During our 13 mile run, I told my running partner, that I wasn't motivated to run anymore.  It wasn't that I didn't enjoy running, I just didn't think I could make the time.  The house wasn't selling and everyone seemed to be working against me in keeping it clean.  I was exhausted and running on fumes.

However, a week later Monica and I escaped our kids once more and ran a very hilly 14 miles.  I'd never run that far before and it felt like such an accomplishment.  Not only did I complete a new distance, but I ran the first 13.1 miles faster than I'd run it 6 times before.  Maybe this stress was the fuel I needed to center my training.

Since then, I haven't struggled lacing up my shoes.  It feels good to get out of the house.  We are under contract to sell our first house and are scheduled to move into our new home in less than 3 weeks.  My house is over 2/3s packed; an empty shell awaiting a new family.  It doesn't feel like ours any more and I am ready to move on. 

A week ago, we ran 17 miles.  Monica and I began at Chatfield Reservoir and ran the entire Platte River Trail to North Downtown Denver.  My mom was in town, so she and my husband drove to Denver with my boys and surprised us at mile 15.  I've worried throughout training for Colfax that I am putting my family aside too much on the weekends and early mornings.  It is a demanding schedule and my kids often ask, "Why do you have to run every morning?"  Seeing my family encourage my training confirmed this isn't only my goal.  Ethan ran with us for a hundred meters and his smile radiated pride.  Secondly, I am sure I am much more pleasant when I run.  Each weekend I get to spend 2-3 hours with a good friend talking, planning, and well, bitching.  We get it out of our system and return to our families better women.

Immediately after completing 18 miles.
The weekend I move, I will run 20 miles.  It is going to be a stretch, having the energy to make this work.  But I have found when you have strong priorities in life, you make it work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment