Thursday, November 20, 2014

Graditude from the Road

Three separate neighbors shoveled my sidewalk and driveway this weekend.  I used to shovel it all winter long, not because my husband wouldn't do it, but because I love the snow!  It is great exercise and so peaceful.  The quiet created by a fresh, deep powder is unparalleled.  I can't do it right now and relying on other people is humbling. 

After thanking my neighbors for their help, one said they wanted to show their appreciation for me and my boys.  The last few months have been difficult but I always smile and keep my spirits high, offering to bring meals, fresh bread, and other baked treats to show my gratitude for their friendship and kindness.  I transport the neighbor kids to and from school on frigid mornings, or walk with them on nice days so they have the safety and security of an accompanying adult.  "We can't risk you falling on this ice.  We need you too much!"

After finding out I needed surgery on my left hip, my mom ordered me a spin bike for my basement!  It is an early Christmas present and I couldn't be more excited.  Instead of driving to the gym every day and entering into needless competition with the elderly positioned beside my machine, I will now stride down a flight of stairs.  Although, I will miss the ease of a quiet rivalry.

In 3 months, I've met 8 people who had the exact same surgery.  Two were at the gym while I worked out.  One woman, only 3 days post operation planted herself right next to me on a bike.  I didn't want to pry, but crutches in hand, it was obvious she just underwent surgery.  She had that grimace between her eyes that everyone accused me of for 2 weeks post op.  "I'm so sorry, I don't want to be rude but, torn labrum?"

She smiled.  "Yeah, exactly.  How'd you know?"

"Lucky guess.  Hey, I'm 8 weeks post surgery and look at me.  I'm sweating up a storm on this thing, huffing away, with resistance I might add.  It gets easier.  And it isn't as bad as everyone warns.  You'll be fine."  I've seen her 3 times since and each time she looks so much stronger.

People rooted for me when I got knocked down.  Strangers ask what happened, they cheered me on, and prayed that I wouldn't see this road again soon.  Neighbors, friends, and family cooked, cleaned, and kept me company.  I was never one to willingly accept help.  I was too proud and I've quickly learned that is a character flaw.  A fault that needed change.  I've developed a new sincerity and the ability to graciously accept a kind gesture such as shoveling my driveway, not as an act of pity, but as love.  On the way to physical therapy each week I see patients entering the hospital with their own struggles and I quietly smile, sending positive thoughts for a swift recovery. 

It's not fair that I need to operate on the left hip only months after the right one was repaired.  But what I've gained from this experience has made me stronger and more grateful.  A life chalk full of irony and challenges is far more interesting. 


~Roadburner



No comments:

Post a Comment