Sunday, March 23, 2014

ER visit

I spent the entire weekend laid up in bed.  It sucks to stay still.  Friday night we were at a friend's house and out of no where I was doubled down on the floor in excruciating pain.  We went home abruptly and I jumped in the shower, hoping the hot water would somehow relieve the sharp pains in my abdomen.  It didn't.  My husband put the kids to bed and for the next few hours we debated the necessity of visiting the ER.

This happened twice before, so I had an idea what was going on.  I knew it wasn't a medical emergency, but it hurt like one.  A sharp constant pain radiated from my right side.  I shuddered in pain, nauseous from the sudden onset.  I made it until morning with little sleep but still wanting to make sure it was benign and not appendicitis, I checked in to the ER at 8:00 the next day. 

After a thorough ultrasound, we confirmed it was a ruptured cyst, one that continued to bleed and left my stomach so swollen, by 6:00 last night I looked 3-6 months pregnant.

I only have 8 weeks left until my next marathon.  I was supposed to log 18 miles this weekend, not be bedridden, unable to walk. Any pressure on my stomach is very painful, lifting heavy objects is unfathomable, and I have no idea how running will feel.  The Hansen's Method says taking more than a couple days off can reverse your training so dramatically that you may want to rethink your original goal time.  I've worked too hard to rethink my goals.  I took a lot of time off this week already for a stupid head cold.  I know I need to heal entirely so that I can race on May 18, but I also need to keep up my fitness levels so that I don't take a huge step backwards.

I've taken 2 full days off, including complete bed rest.  Last night I had the best night of sleep I've had in over 7 years.  Thank you Percocet.  While I laid in the ER hospital bed, I asked the doctor, "When exactly can I run again?"  He laughed and said, "I am sure you are one of those that will run no matter what, so how about this?  Run when you don't hurt anymore.  If you start hurting, stop running and try again tomorrow.  Deal?"

"DEAL!" Tomorrow, I will run 5 miles and I promise to take it easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment