Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Savory Running

While I was pregnant with each of my boys, I became so dedicated to eating that my life literally revolved around the dinner table.  I luckily didn't gain that much weight, as I prefer fresh foods, and I stayed healthy throughout, but when I got hungry, I needed to eat immediately.  I was utterly desperate for food.

My back hurts looking at this picture.  I was 36 weeks along.  Owen came 2.5 weeks later.
Yesterday a friend of mine asked if I were pregnant again.  She was stunned by how much I eat, while not gaining any weight.

Baby weight gone... ;)
 No way!  I am not pregnant.  I am training for another marathon and my body handles the training the same way I handled growing two baby boys in my belly, like a veracious dinosaur.

Don't mess with a hungry running Mama!
Here's yesterday's diet:

Pre-Run Snack - A banana and glass of orange juice.  This is my go to pre-run snack.  If I run anything longer than 7 miles, I may add a Cliff Bar to the mix.

Breakfast - I had white tea with whole grain flour crepes with fresh strawberries piled high.  I also had a small smoothie with strawberries, pineapple, a half a banana, apple juice, and one scoop of protein powder.


Morning snack - two small slices of whole grain bread made with sunflower and flax seeds with hummus and tomatoes. 


Lunch - a large spinach salad with toasted almonds, cranberries, feta, and honey vinaigrette.  I threw on a hard boiled egg for good measure.



Afternoon snack - chocolate mousse with almonds sprinkled on top.  I made it fresh the day before and therefore controlled the amount of sugar and I used only high quality dark chocolate.  An hour later I had an Asian pear with a very small handful of trail mix consisting of nuts, cranberries, and goji berries.  Sprouts Market had this mix on sale last week for $4.99lb!


Dinner - plank salmon with steamed fresh veggies, a glass of milk and an Easy Street. 


I don't know if I eat too much or too little.  I eat when I am hungry.  Yes, I indulge here and there.  I love cupcakes and cookies and chocolate mousse leaves me in a state of pure bliss.  Tofu stir fry, grilled salmon, protein smoothies, eggs, spiced quinoa with apples, pinhead oatmeal with cranberry compote, pork tenderloin, veggie laced lasagna, and open face sandwiches with roast beef, avocado, and hummus are ridiculously good.  How else should I feed a T-Rex in training? 


What are your favorite foods while training?
How do you stave off that hunger?
I'd love to hear your recipes!

~Roadburner


No comments:

Post a Comment