Thursday, January 23, 2014

Compression. Again.

I wrote a blog a year ago, Compression Sucks, where I defaced the name of compression socks.  I was mad because I'd gone through three different brands of compression tubes and paid over $60 per pair.  They hurt my legs to the point that I couldn't run more than 3 miles while wearing them.  What's the point of wearing something that hurts?  I concluded that I would go back to a bare bones tactic and throw out compression for good.

However, if you look back through the majority of my pictures in the last year, you'll find me a liar...

Pre Race Throw Aways.  I invest good money at the Goodwill just to toss them out.  My compression, however, keep me warm and toasty all the way through!
My husband photo bombing me. Notice the socks?
Compression Socks in Vegas! Not sure why I'm showing a little leg...?

At the finish line of the Colfax Marathon.  Compression helped a lot!

Again, compression.  You get the idea.  Apparently I signal a "touchdown" every finish!

In my defense, I threw away my CEP compression socks.  They HURT!  I felt like a snake was sucking the life from my veins within minutes of running.  Yes, I was properly fitted for the sock, they just didn't work for me.

While training for my first marathon, I found my legs continued to become extremely sore after my long runs without compression, so I opened the flood gate once more and decided to branch off to less popular brands.  I finally found Vitalsox, which provided the right balance of compression and zero pain.  That sounds more like it!  (The company doesn't endorse me, I just really like their products.) 

Here is why I believe strongly in compression socks:

  1. They provide ankle, calf, and knee support, which can be awfully handy on longer runs, during speed training, or if you average 20+ miles a week.  
  2. My legs are rediculously sore when I don't wear compression, and hardly sore at all the next day when I do.  (That's a no brainer for me.)
  3. People argue compression socks/tights increase performance.  I don't know if I agree or not, but if I am less sore from a previous day's run, I run better the following day.  
  4. They keep my legs warmer in the winter.  Okay, this sucks in the summer. 
  5. I wear 0-4mm drop shoes which puts a lot more strain on the calf muscles.  I feel that strain compounded when I don't wear them.   My incident for injury has been less since wearing them regularly.
Compression is a finicky thing and you have to find the brand that works best for you.  So far I've only found one brand that I really like and trust.  However, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in increasing performance.  They obviously are not a magical stocking that will make you the athlete you've always dreamed of being, but I believe in them enough to run in them 100% of the time.  I even wear them on my treadmill because I hate being sore.  I have 30 stairs in my house that I prefer to navigate on my feet, not my butt. 


What do you think of compression?
Is there a brand that works best for you?
Do you wear them during your run or afterwards?
Have you tried arm compression?

~Roadburner

No comments:

Post a Comment