Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sick Pup

Tucker runs with me every morning.  He pulls me up the hills and is relentless when I beg for a slower pace.  He hasn't run with me in over a week.  Every dog needs dental work now and then, but somehow his dental procedure ended up far more complicated.  He was sedated for over 7 hours and had 6 teeth pulled.  Afterwards, I was instructed he would be okay to run again in a day or two and expect normal behavior within 24 hours.

Sadly, he was severely allergic to every medicine they administered.  The night after the surgery I sat with him outside for hours as he laid in the rain, ill beyond belief, and unwilling to come inside.  I finally wrapped him in a warm towel and held him on his bed until he fell asleep.  We've been in and out of his veterinary clinic every evening and while I know he hates me every time I bring him in for more examinations, I see his unconditional loyalty.

When I got up on Sunday for my long run, I looked at him laying fitfully in his bed.  I expected him to jump out the door and demand his leash, but he rolled over and let me leave without incident.


Obviously, he will be fine in a few days.  It is five days post operation and he is finally able to eat rice and chicken broth.  He is only 7 years old and Brittney Spaniels live a long time, but it made me think how lucky I am that my dog is the type that can run 14 miles without hesitation.  He can outlast me in almost every distance and can maintain a 7:00 per mile pace for 10K.  Tucker is amazing.  I know someday he will loose his ability to run.  That happens to all of us.  But for now, I love the look in his eyes when he sees my running clothes.  He doesn't love to run.  He loves the run.  Yes, there is a difference.


Who is your favorite running partner?  Do you like running with your pets, or without?  What is the one thing about running that you can't live without?

~Roadburner

No comments:

Post a Comment